PDA

View Full Version : High volume training

Reps23
01-11-2024, 09:32 AM
I been lifting and cycling for years. Lately I just been kinda stuck where I'm at. I've never been one to slouch but I'm wondering if adding more sets and more reps to my training will push me past this. What's you guys thoughts on this like how many sets do you think is a good number. Shoulder routine is usually warm up then 5 sets shoulder presses 3 sets upright rows and 3 sets shoulder shrugs. You think I should up the sets the reps or maybe switch up to some different exercises?

Devil1
01-11-2024, 12:18 PM
I run high intensity lighter weight these days.. but I go hard. 2-3 sets per exercise, always superset, never stop moving. I go to failure, 15-20 reps usually with the last rep or two being forced partials. I will throw in a couple heavy sets to shock the system also. Usually go 2 days on 1 day off depending on soreness.

MasterBlaster805
01-11-2024, 06:13 PM
I been lifting and cycling for years. Lately I just been kinda stuck where I'm at. I've never been one to slouch but I'm wondering if adding more sets and more reps to my training will push me past this. What's you guys thoughts on this like how many sets do you think is a good number. Shoulder routine is usually warm up then 5 sets shoulder presses 3 sets upright rows and 3 sets shoulder shrugs. You think I should up the sets the reps or maybe switch up to some different exercises?

So as a long time bodybuilder who competed in my late teens through my 20's till career took off, 1st thing that jumps out at me on ur shoulders is~ No Side Lateral raises or rear delt training?

Speaking from personal experience~ I trained for years using heavy weights in the 5-8 range and thinking heavy sets of 5 reps were the sweet spot for all my exercises~ like You I hit a wall and gains stopped coming basically just maintaining what I had built. Somewhere along the way I jumped on YouTube and started watching video's of 4x Mr Olympia and 6 time runner up~ Jay Cutler- and became a big fan of his High volume training style. Basically like Arnold use to do it, 10-12 reps per set- 15-20 sets per body part. Gains were immediate and I grew more in the 2nd half of my training life than I did in all the years leading up to switching over.

You don't have to go crazy with too many more sets but just upping the rep range alone increases the "Time Under Tension" for the muscle and can give great results.

These days my new training motivator for perfect form and tempo is Nick Walker~ check out any of his newer training videos (in the last year) to see how he doesn't give two fucks about how heavy he lifts anymore and uses 12 rep sets with perfect tempo and execution to get a maximum contraction on every rep of the muscle he is training. One of the Freakiest fuckers I've seen in a long time

Could do 405 incline for reps~ chooses to do half that with slow concentric and pauses at the bottom to maximize contraction at The Dragon's Lair gym in Vegas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYlyKL608f4

samgraves82
01-18-2024, 05:47 AM
I'd drop the shrugs and addnin some side and rear laterals.

for a list: [email protected]

Devil1
01-18-2024, 01:17 PM
I'd drop the shrugs and addnin some side and rear laterals.

I barbell shrug but not near as heavy as I used to, I agree with you, delt and rear delt laterals when done correctly build the traps as well, maybe better.

samgraves82
01-18-2024, 07:04 PM
I barbell shrug but not near as heavy as I used to, I agree with you, delt and rear delt laterals when done correctly build the traps as well, maybe better.The upright rows will hit them well too

Devil1
01-18-2024, 08:58 PM
The upright rows will hit them well too

Yeah, i see fitness “gurus” on Instagram saying to keep arms straight, stand straight up and just shrug.. fuck that, lean into it and shrug, bend your elbows a little and really squeeze, most of your trap is on your back.. I superset with light upright rows.

samgraves82
01-18-2024, 10:18 PM
Yeah, i see fitness “gurus” on Instagram saying to keep arms straight, stand straight up and just shrug.. fuck that, lean into it and shrug, bend your elbows a little and really squeeze, most of your trap is on your back.. I superset with light upright rows.Yea, well they're idiots [emoji23]. Matter of fact, when I'm doin shrugs I do a couple sets with bar behind me like lee Haney did