PDA

View Full Version : Since the middle of January...

Zaphod
04-27-2013, 10:48 AM
I've lost about 25 pounds. Started going to the gym seriously about the middle of January since time in the morning allowed for it and have been going regularly ever since. Didn't weigh in when I started but I think I was in the neighborhood of 275lbs. Tuesday of this past week I weighed 250lbs. I had started doing some basic lifts, not real heavy or high volume. Just enough to start back up and get used to working out again. Also started doing some cardio, mostly treadmill. Late February I decided I was about as ready as I was going to get before beginning to seriously lift. That was when I started a 5x5 program. Did reasonably well, kept adding weight to everything, but recently felt I wasn't getting enough recovery time. Squatting every time I lifted was getting pretty tough. So yesterday I began again by breaking everything up into different days. The first day was back and biceps. Three whole sets for biceps to finish them off because I feel that working back pretty much torches biceps as it is. Cardio suffered so that is getting moved to days when I'm not lifting.

Once I get the program nailed down I might post it up for critique. Diet isn't the best, but I'm content with eliminating eating out, dropping the sodas completely, being careful not to over eat at meals, and when I snack to make sure it isn't garbage food. So far, I like my progress.

rmkicks
04-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Congratulations brother. Keep it up.

Jshredz
04-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Good work!! Keep it up

I recommend training 3 days of weeks, cardio on your off days in the am.

Something basic to get you going and allow plenty of recovery time.

i got this workout program from my size surge book. I still use a similar routine in the beginning of my off season.

Monday
Squats*, 2 x 9, 7
Leg extensions, 1 x 7-9
Stiff-legged
deadlifts*, 1 x 7-9
Leg curls*, 1 x 7-9
Bench presses*, 2 x 9, 7
Flat-bench flyes, 1 x 7-9
Incline dumbbell
presses, 2 x 7-9
Chins or
pulldowns*, 2 x 9, 7
Bent-over rows*, 2 x 7-9
Dumbbell presses*, 2 x 9, 7
Dumbbell upright
rows, 2 x 7-9
Leg press calf
raises, 2 x 12-18

Wednesday
Deadlifts*, 2 x 9, 7
Standing calf
raises, 2 x 12-18
Barbell curls*, 2 x 9, 7
Concentration
curls, 2 x 7-9
Lying triceps
extensions*, 2 x 9, 7
Pushdowns, 2 x 7-9
Wrist curls, 1 x 12-18
Hammer curls, 1 x 7-9
Incline kneeups, 2 x 7-9
Ab Bench
crunch pulls, 2 x 7-9

Friday
Squats*, 2 x 9, 7
Leg extensions, 1 x 7-9
Leg curls, 2 x 7-9
Seated calf
raises*, 2 x 12-18
Bench presses*, 2 x 9, 7
Flat-bench flyes, 1 x 7-9 Incline dumbbell
presses, 2 x 7-9
Chins or pulldowns*, 2 x 9, 7
Bent-over rows*, 2 x 7-9
Dumbbell presses*, 2 x 9, 7 Dumbbell upright rows, 2 x 7-9

*Do one to two light warmup sets with about 50 percent of your work weight on the first and 70 percent on the second prior to your two work sets. All work sets are to complete positive failure.

BIGBOSS
04-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Congratulations!! TRAIN HARD brother!!!

bigboithetank
04-27-2013, 02:59 PM
I've lost about 25 pounds. Started going to the gym seriously about the middle of January since time in the morning allowed for it and have been going regularly ever since. Didn't weigh in when I started but I think I was in the neighborhood of 275lbs. Tuesday of this past week I weighed 250lbs. I had started doing some basic lifts, not real heavy or high volume. Just enough to start back up and get used to working out again. Also started doing some cardio, mostly treadmill. Late February I decided I was about as ready as I was going to get before beginning to seriously lift. That was when I started a 5x5 program. Did reasonably well, kept adding weight to everything, but recently felt I wasn't getting enough recovery time. Squatting every time I lifted was getting pretty tough. So yesterday I began again by breaking everything up into different days. The first day was back and biceps. Three whole sets for biceps to finish them off because I feel that working back pretty much torches biceps as it is. Cardio suffered so that is getting moved to days when I'm not lifting.

Once I get the program nailed down I might post it up for critique. Diet isn't the best, but I'm content with eliminating eating out, dropping the sodas completely, being careful not to over eat at meals, and when I snack to make sure it isn't garbage food. So far, I like my progress.

That's pretty good, dude. Yeah, those sodas can be poison to the body if you ain't careful. Include more protein and veggies in your diet and you will drop excess weight even faster.

Zaphod
04-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Trying to get my oldest son into lifting. He's sixteen and if I can just get him away from the computer... Once he sees some progress I think he'll get the lifting bug.

Jshredz
04-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Once he gets a little attention from the girls he's gonna want to train some more..
Then maybe he'll just start loving to train.

PAiN
04-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Congrats and reps brother!!! Keep it up.

JRock
04-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Good job man!

Zaphod
04-30-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm trying. Working 3rd shift makes it hard some days.

TexxGearsRep
04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Congratulations keep it up!

phfreak
05-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Great Job don't stop!

Zaphod
05-17-2013, 11:52 PM
So I modified the workout a bit. Cardio on off days. Also working up to heavier weights with each set. Feels more satisfying and seem to be making more and better progress.

Also switching regular deadlift for sumo deadlift every other deadlift/leg day. Didn't think I'd like the sumo deadlift, but I really enjoy it. Also went to a more strict deadlift form. Used to do it with feet spread nearly shoulder width with the knees out. Now it's more straight on. More comfortable that way, too.

Gopro
05-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Awesome work man, glad to hear you are getting some progress. Keep it up, and us up to date!!

Smoove
05-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Perseverance man!

Zaphod
06-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Last few weeks have been rough when it comes to eating. Only down to 247 pounds as of this morning. But I have been jogging about 1.3 miles solid for the past week while still managing to improve my weight workouts.

Slow, but steady.

Zaphod
07-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Down to 242 and can jog 3 miles non-stop. Still lifting just as hard. The diet really needs work at this point. Past couple weeks have been exceedingly horrible for eating right.