• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Push ups, Good or Bad?

BOP VETERAN
      is GANG BANGING FOR JESUS

I am:
      Wtf

Post Thanks / Like

Push ups, Good or Bad?

So im happy with my muscle growth except for my chest. I hit it really hard and in different ways. I know that it grows during recovery and not in the gym. So my ? is, should I do pushups during the week to stimulate growth or will that effect my recovery. I was thinking about hitting chest day then waiting 3 days to do push ups and then 2 days later more push ups and 2 days later chest again. What do yall think?

2.    Sponsored Links

----
      AUSSIE MEMBER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Quote Originally Posted by Fast Willie from Philly View Post
      So im happy with my muscle growth except for my chest. I hit it really hard and in different ways. I know that it grows during recovery and not in the gym. So my ? is, should I do pushups during the week to stimulate growth or will that effect my recovery. I was thinking about hitting chest day then waiting 3 days to do push ups and then 2 days later more push ups and 2 days later chest again. What do yall think?
      Bro push ups will be fine... it actually helps with recovery buy pushing blood into the muscle and all the nutrients

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Fast Willie from Philly thanked for this post
      Likes Fast Willie from Philly, Anzel liked this post
    5. ----
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Post Thanks / Like
      I found with my chest that was holding back growth was not being able to stimulate it properly.. I've been guilty of being a delt dominant presser meaning my shoulders would take over my Bench press, chest press etc

my suggestion it to get some bands and incorpare them into your chest workout. A good one is the seated chest press... the bands will help to keep your shoulders back so your chest gets used as it's supposed to plus exaggerate the tension on the pressing part of the movement
      Last edited by joko123; 05-21-2017 at 02:54 AM.

7. Thanks Fast Willie from Philly thanked for this post
    8. ----
      BOP VETERAN

I am:
      Wtf

Post Thanks / Like
      Thanks bro, thats good info. And I was the same way when I used to just try and push heavy weight. My shoulders over shadowed everything else
      Quote Originally Posted by joko123 View Post
      I found with my chest that was holding back growth was not being able to stimulate it properly.. I've been guilty of being a delt dominant presser meaning my shoulders would take over my Bench press, chest press etc

my suggestion it to get some backs and incorpare them into your chest workout. A good one is the seated chest press... the bands will help to keep your shoulders back so your chest gets used as it's supposed to plus exaggerate the tension on the pressing part of the movement

10. Thanks joko123 thanked for this post
    11. ----
      AUSSIE MEMBER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Quote Originally Posted by Fast Willie from Philly View Post
      Thanks bro, thats good info. And I was the same way when I used to just try and push heavy weight. My shoulders over shadowed everything else
      Yeah it definitely comes down do activating the muscle. So it's not how much weight your moving it's how you move it! Cos at the end of the day your brain doesn't know how much he weight is in your hand.

Like you can make a empty bar feel a lot more heavier then it actually is! There a couple of things you can do to help activate the muscle better... Try this out and tell me how you go. So instead of just pushing the bar away from your self try gripping the bar and think about pushing your hands together so your getting inwards pressure.. Which will help activate your chest you want to be doing it the whole movement also think about pushing g your self away from the bar not just pushing the bar... so the amount of tension by the end of each set will be a lot higher then just pushing the bar away if that makes sense?

Also another big thing is keeping your body tight from the ground up retracted scap ect...

Hope that works for ya

13. ----
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Post Thanks / Like
      Great points julski! and if I could add to your thoughts when lowering the bar down toward your chest, think of if as squeezing your scapula together which will only happen if your shoulders are retracted. On the upward motion, try to imagine bending the bar as if you are trying to touch your elbows together

the weights are just a tool , how we utilize them is up to us. More weight doesn't not always equal more results if it comes at the cost of sacrificing form, especially with your chest movements

Quote Originally Posted by julskee View Post
      Yeah it definitely comes down do activating the muscle. So it's not how much weight your moving it's how you move it! Cos at the end of the day your brain doesn't know how much he weight is in your hand.

Like you can make a empty bar feel a lot more heavier then it actually is! There a couple of things you can do to help activate the muscle better... Try this out and tell me how you go. So instead of just pushing the bar away from your self try gripping the bar and think about pushing your hands together so your getting inwards pressure.. Which will help activate your chest you want to be doing it the whole movement also think about pushing g your self away from the bar not just pushing the bar... so the amount of tension by the end of each set will be a lot higher then just pushing the bar away if that makes sense?

Also another big thing is keeping your body tight from the ground up retracted scap ect...

Hope that works for ya

15. Likes bigeyed liked this post
    16. ----
      AUSSIE MEMBER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      You will notice quite a significant drop in weight which is a mental thing, but once you get the feeling of working your muscle properly it will be fine! There are so many mental que's to nailing the form but after practice you'll get there and your chest will be there

18. Likes joko123, bigeyed liked this post
    19. ----
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      I superset push-ups with flat dumbbell fly's that's the only time I do push-ups

Sent from my ROBBY using Tapatalk

21. Likes Fast Willie from Philly liked this post
    22. ----
      BOP VETERAN
      is Cruising..

I am:
      atwork

Post Thanks / Like
      I used to do pushups every morning. But I only hit chest once a week in the gym. Did it for many many years. My chest is my best asset too.. just food for thought.

24. Likes Fast Willie from Philly liked this post
    25. ----
      BOP VETERAN

I am:
      Wtf

Post Thanks / Like
      how many pushups did you do and what kind brother?
      Quote Originally Posted by Herc View Post
      I used to do pushups every morning. But I only hit chest once a week in the gym. Did it for many many years. My chest is my best asset too.. just food for thought.

27. ----
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast